College students are an integral part to the culture and ministry of Northstar Church. In our mission to develop Christ following disciples who will Be the Church wherever they are, our Northstar family has been blessed to have so many college students in our ministry. Being the Church in a college town means ministering to college students.
Although college students have been no stranger to Northstar for many years, we are finishing up the first year or our designated college ministry, Connect.
Northstar Connect is committed to connecting students to Jesus and to the mission of the church.
Below is a summary of a semester of College Ministry in review as we celebrate what God has done and inform of how we hope to grow:
It can be challenging to summarize a ministry, but here are some bulleted points for you “list people:”
- We have 70 – 80 College students involved in Northstar Church (involvement means more than Sunday attendance)
- 8 College Students were baptized this semester
- Our Home Away from Home ministry started this semester to help connect students and families
- Many of our college students are highly involved in campus ministries
- Increased college student church membership this semester
- Currently we have three college small groups
Highlights from Fall Semester
- Second Fall Getaway: Our second Fall Getaway in New Castle, VA was a great time of community-building and growth as previous Northstar member, Stafford Craymer led the teaching.
- Thanksgiving Feast: Approximately 60 students gathered to be fed by our church family, fellowship with
other students/families, and enjoy some frozen turkey bowling!
- Great Leaders: Our College Leadership Team (Megan Evans, Evin Gladin and Riley St. Pierre) and college small group leaders (the Shockleys, Erin Petersen and Evin Gladin) have faithfully invested in college students this semester.
- Bubble Soccer: Our outreach to incoming students or Fall Blitz was the most successful we have had yet. One of the highlight events was Bubble Soccer on the
drillfield where hundreds of students came out.
- Northstar Connect Core Community: For the first time, we have students that identify Northstar College (Connect) as their core community.
- Investigating Jesus: We had a consistent stream of students that we met with who were seriously investigating and searching out faith in Christ. It was a joy to see the College leaders minister to these students.
- College Tailgate: We love our partnerships with campus ministries and had a great opportunity to minister to hundreds of students alongside BCM as we helped host the OSU tailgate.
- College Led December Nights: Our second December nights was completely led by our College students and it was a powerful night as we worshiped together!
Looking Ahead (Growth and Goals)
There is so much to look back on and celebrate, but we also have lots that we look forward to and areas that we hope to grow.
- Growing more College Leaders: We are thrilled with the college leaders we do have but also hope to train and grow more leaders to minister to college students, whether they are students or non-students.
- College Membership: Many students see Blacksburg as a transition but we hope to invite students to invest deeply in a church family through being committed members who seek to Be the Church in their context.
- Small Group and Discipleship Ministry: We believe that having college students in healthy discipleship and small group relationships will facilitate greater spiritual growth in our students and it is our goal to have more students involved in these ministries.
It has truly been a semester to praise the Lord for, and we continue to have high expectations for how He will use Northstar Church to minister to college students in the NRV.