Northstar faces unique challenges unlike other churches as we seek to build our first ministry center. We are a young congregation – almost 60% of our attendance during the school year is college and grad students from Virginia Tech and Radford University. Blacksburg and the New River Valley experiences a lot of transition as a result of being a high tech, educational community. Each May, we celebrate a Send Off Sunday, in which we typically say goodbye to 80-100 people.
That means for Northstar to grow, we must first replace those who leave each year AND reach new people.
We have a vision of being the church. That means that we don’t focus on events. We truly seek to equip and train followers of Jesus to live their lives and share their faith in a way that leads to others making decisions to follow Jesus. As the church, we also want to bless our communities and campuses, and so we emphasize serving.
Because we are a younger congregation with a lot of new believers, our budget may not look like churches of the same size with older members. This project is BIGGER than us. We truly are dependent on God’s provision.
So here’s how you can help:
- Share about our vision and project. It may be someone in your family, at work or in your social circle that is moved to contribute in a way that ultimately helps us build. Use your social media to share blog posts from this website and our main site.
- Make a commitment/pledge for 2018. It helps our planning team to know what your giving intentions are. For instance, in the fall of 2015, we received pledges totaling $535,000. Those were three-year commitments, and to date, $259,678.99 (48%) has been given. That helps us plan.
- Because we’ve had over 150 join since the fall of 2015 (when the initial commitments were made), we know that our new members and attenders want to be a part of what God is doing as well.
- Make your commitment here.
- Commit to pray. Once a month, we publish a prayer for the church. The December Prayer Guide is here. Please make it a point to pray regularly for God to provide for our church!