Each December, we ask our members and attenders to prayerfully considering giving to our Holiday Missions Offering (HMO) which is in addition to our regular offering. 100 percent of the money collected is divided between ministry agencies that Northstar supports during the year.
One of those ministry agencies is the Pregnancy Resource Center of the New River Valley (PRC) which is a non-profit medical clinic that has been helping men and women right here in our back yard since 1985. The PRC is dedicated to serving men and women who are facing unplanned pregnancy through medical services, counseling, education, and material necessities.
In 2016, the PRC saw a 70% increase in their target client. Additionally, of those target clients who were pregnant, the clinic saw a 75% increase in clients choosing to parent! Perhaps the most exciting and encouraging statistic is that of all the clients served in the PRC in 2016, 90% chose life!
Debbie Christian, CEO of the PRC, said, “Giving to the PRC at Christmas enables us to give women unconditional love and hope in a time they need it most. No matter their circumstances, their background, or their choices, we see them with worth and dignity and offer them the hope that came to the world at Christmas.”
So, how does our gift to the PRC translate into services? Here is a breakdown:
- A $10 gift supplies a pack of diapers that is earned when women take classes offered by the PRC.
- A $25 gift supplies a box of pregnancy tests which are used to provide confirmation.
- A $50 gift supplies Layette baskets/items, or a “baby shower” in a basket, given to each mother who participates in classes when her baby is born.
- A $50 gift also supplies post-abortion counseling materials.
- A $100 gift covers pregnancy test to provide confirmation (includes professional medical staff, counselors, educational resources, etc)
- A $500 gift covers an ultrasound to determine how far along the client is in the pregnancy.
- A $1000 gift covers 2 years of pregnancy and parenting classes.
Christian also stated that “Over and over we see the movement of God as He draws people to serve this ministry, collectively bringing even the smallest of gifts to make His purposed and desired impact to His glory. It’s beautiful!”
As you continue to pray through and plan your giving this Christmas season, we want you to know that a portion of your gift will bless women and men in our community with an arm of support during the joy and/or hardship of unplanned pregnancy. Your gift will support the staff who believe in their clients, equip them, and offer them an abundance of community resources made possible by the generosity of those like you who care.