As we enter the seventh straight month of responding to the coronavirus pandemic, we continue to pray for one another, our nation and world. These have been unprecedented days, and our church leadership is grateful for your support and encouragement as we navigate trying times.
What we are grateful for
There is SO much to be grateful for! We have learned, grown and adapted in surprising ways to the reality that we all face.
- We are grateful for a loving God who is in control and not worried nor threatened by any illness, pandemic or catastrophe.
- We are grateful for one another, for mutual prayer, support, care and encouragement during trials.
- We are grateful for the internet and technology that has provided a means to connect, zoom, livestream and meet together.
- We are grateful for volunteers and staff who have led the way, helping to communicate, solve, and connect us in ways that have allowed us to be high tech when we can’t be high touch.
- We are grateful that we have been able to meet together in person since May 31.
- We are grateful for Gracelife Church and their amazing, humble hospitality.
- We are grateful for the launch of Sunday children’s ministry on September 13.
- We are grateful for volunteers who serve in person to help setup, clean/disinfect, teach children, lead worship, put up signs, and a dozen other things so that we can be the church together.
We know a lot more about COVID than we did in March. Our staff is reading voraciously, counseling with other church and denominational leaders, and taking recommendations from the Virginia Department of Health and the CDC. We are working hard to provide gatherings that enable all of you – with a wide range of concerns about COVID responsiveness – to gather together in person.
- RSVP. It’s very important that you register to attend. As our in-person worship attendance grows, we need to be aware of the amount of people planning on attending to monitor needs for overflow space and possible alternative services. The link to RSVP is dontgo.be/register.
- We encourage social distancing. It’s not that we don’t want to greet you with a hug and handshake (or holy kiss), but on Sundays we bump elbows or simply wave vigorously at you.
- Masks. We encourage you to wear masks, and we also have masks available at the entries if you need a fresh one.
- Cleanliness. Before our service, we disinfect all chairs with an aerosol spray solution. Everything that has frequent contact is wiped down before you arrive. We also have hand sanitizing stations available.
- Bulletins and handouts and offering. We will have your bulletin on your chair waiting for you on Sunday. When we need to hand things out, our volunteers will be gloved. We are not “passing the plate.” Instead, we have offering baskets stationed by the doors so that you can give on arrival or exit. (You can always give online.)
- Space. Again, it’s not that we don’t love one another, but we have increased space between rows, and if you’re not familiar with someone, we ask you to sit with two chairs between you. Obviously, this doesn’t apply to families, roommates or friendship “pods.”
We continue to reassess our preparedness in light of recommendations and counsel. We cannot provide a hospital-like environment, and we regret that not everyone will feel completely comfortable in these times. We are humbly and diligently seeking to minister to as many as we can in the name of Jesus.
We do encourage you to come and worship with us. If you are battling fear or anxiety over coming, please contact someone in leadership for encouragement or counsel. Otherwise, stay home and worship online with our livestream.
- Location: Gracelife Baptist Church in Christiansburg, 1640 Peppers Ferry Road
- Time: 5:00 p.m., Sundays
- Children’s Ministry: Please show up early to check your children at the registration desk. The family entry is on the right side of the Gracelife building.
- RSVP for in-person attendance at dontgo.be/register.
We also encourage you to make use of our online interactions to maintain community, submit prayer requests, etc:
- Livestream at dontgo.be/livestream
- RSVP for live worship at dontgo.be/register
- Give at dontgo.be/give
- Prayer request at dontgo.be/pray
- Information update at dontgo.be/update
- Online Howdy Card at dontgo.be/howdy
- Church calendar at dontgo.be/calendar
- COVID-19 Prep: Smiles and waves instead of hugs and handshakes – March 13, 2020
- Responding to the Coronavirus – March 11, 2020
- Northstar’s Public Worship Re-entry Plan – May 15, 2020